domingo, 29 de enero de 2012

Want to study overseas and do not know where to start? Start here!

Even though there will be some differences for those who want to do a short term overseas and those who wish to obtain a degree, the main aspects of the preparation process for the experience are the same. This is the very beginning; in other entries you will find more information as to how to continue the process, exercises that may help you connect with your inner wishes, as well as useful links.

The very first thing: objectives, priorities and limitations

In almost 12 years of working in higher education, I was fortunate to advise over 1800 students who studied overseas. All of them agreed that going abroad was THE experience of their lives. Nonetheless, those who made the most out of their travels were those who took the time to really design their own experience, rather than copying their cousins’, siblings’ or uncles’.

Hence, today I want to share with you 7 questions to help you better understand what it is you want to achieve and to identify your starting point.

Recommendation: answer the questions in writing and be as specific as possible as your replies will help you narrow-down available options. Through the process you may feel overwhelmed by the number of available universities and programs, hence, referring back to your answers will help you re-focus. Also, these answers will become super useful when you get to write your application.

-          What is it that I want to obtain from my experience overseas?
I.e.: an international academic experience in the best ranked university; to learn about a specific subject at the leading university in that topic; to become acquainted with a different academic system; to obtain more tools to improve my positioning in the job market, etc.
-           How would I like my studies to influence my future professional career?
I.e.: I want them to be the stepping stone for working overseas; I would like them to provide me with an international profile, etc.
-          Are some of your objectives more prioritary than others? What am I willing to let go of?
By identifying those objectives which are unmovable and those which one can live without, it is easier to start prioritizing possible destinations and institutions.
-          What are my limitations?
It is important to be realistic about one’s own limitations, since doing so will help avoid future frustrations. If, for example, my GPA is very low and I apply to universities where the GPA is very highly valued, it is very likely that I won’t get accepted. Hence, in my search for potential destinations I will focus on universities that are of interest to me and where the GPA does not weight as much as other factors such as extracurricular activities, professional experience, etc. Other possible limitations may be: language proficiency, costs, etc.
-          Is there any country/ region/ culture where I would rather go? Why?
I.e.: I prioritize going to an English-speaking country because I want to improve my level of English; I choose to go to Italy because that is where my family came from and I really want to further learn about the culture; I want to go to xxx because that is where my uncle lives and I will have free housing, etc.
-          Would I feel equally comfortable going to a big city or a small town?
Academic experiences overseas are always enriched by the contact with the local culture and by what happens outside of the classroom. Thus, the physical space where one chooses to study is important. Personally, I love big cities, as in smaller places I get bored hence, I would not consider studying in a tiny town.  
-          In what climate do I function better?
Although it may seem laughable, it is not a matter not to take into consideration. Each one of us works better in a specific kind of weather. I really dislike winter and my productivity is definitely better in milder climates where I do not want to sleep the whole day!!!

You are now done with your starting point. Next, let’s explore possible destinations and universities.